Monday, 9 March 2009

Club History

The club was founded in1946 and a straight track was built in Gullevelt park of 100 yards length having 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and 5 inch gauge tracks. After a period of time it was felt more appropriate to provide a closed loop track, however, the local council would not permit this in the park, and offered the present Diglis site as an alternative venue.

In 1954 the members constructed a continuous raised track of 3 1/2 and 5 inch gauge and of 220 yards length. This track was in use to as recently as 1997. The adjacent club house was originally built as a workshop only, but as tea and cakes were in popular demand on running days an extension was added in 1963 to improve these facilities.

Over the time of the club existence the popularity of larger 7 1/4 inch gauge models has increased resulting in the building of the inside track in 1968. This track is 350 yards in length with gradients of 1 in 100 and 1 in 98 and caters for 3 1/2, 5, and 7 1/4 inch gauge locomotives.

The original outer track has recently been renewed after some 43 years of use. the new track caters for 3 1/2, and 5 inch gauge locomotives and is approximately 230 yards in length. the new track was opened by the Mayor of Worcester on the 30th August 1999.

Refurbishment of the bridge decking was completed during 2002 and current projects at the club include replacing the sleepers and ballast on the inner ground level track, the replacement of 7 1/4gauge rolling stock and the re installation of a 2 1/2 inch gauge track on the raised section.